About nine months after World War II came to an end, 3.4 Million babies were born and so was a Generation. The Baby Boomers. Are you in it? If you were born between 1946 and 1964 we'd like you to pay a visit to Boomtown. It's a wonderful place made just for you to celebrate the lifestyles, music and technology of your booming generation. Tune in each Saturday at 11am as your host, Rick Crandall, looks back at a time when there was confidence of comfort and prosperity and looks at the present day challenges facing this growing population.
- The GI Bill generating VA loans for homes and farms at low interest rates, and low or no down payment helped spark Suburban Development.
- The GI Bill also made Higher Education a reachable goal.
- Dr. Benjamin Spock's the Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care, sold for just 25 cents, was translated into 39 languages and sold more than 50 million copies, making it second in sales only to the Bible.
- Buzz Words – Feminine Mystique, Duck and Cover, Daddy O
- Music – The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Carole King, Marvin Gaye, Motown
- Films – Rebel Without a Cause (1955), Some Like it Hot (1959), The Graduate (1967
- Toys – Frisbees, Hula Hoops, Barbie Dolls
- Television – American Bandstand, The Mickey Mouse Club, Buck Rogers, Leave it to Beaver
- Baby Boomers turn 65 at the rate of 8,000 a day.
- December 31, 2029 – The last of the boomers will turn 65.
- This is not your father’s retirement.
- Buzz Words – Reverse Mortgage, Long-Term Care, Retirement Planning
- Music – What’s a Record?
- Toys – Smart Phones, Tablets, MP3 players